Syhart - 1/72 McDonnell F-4F Phantom II 37+16 & Panavia Tornado Ids 45+03 '50 Jahre WTD-61' 2007
This decals set contains all markings to complete two aircrafts
Faced with the need to evaluate the aircraft of the future Luftwaffe, Wehrtechnische Dienststelle 61 WTD 61 , literally 'military technical center' was created in 1957. It is the dedicated flight test and development center for all German military aircraft, based in Manching in Bavaria. This unit apart has seen many 'firsts' and 'lasts' :
- The first flight of the Panavia Tornado in 1974
- The first flight of the Eurofighter in 1994
- The last flight of the German F-104 Starfighter in 1991
- The last flight of the RF-4E and F-4F Phantom in 1995 and 2013 Syhart 076 & Syhart 078
It is also within the WTD-61 that were evaluated the aircraft of Soviet origin inherited from the East German Air Force after the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. Mi-2, Mi-8/17, Mi -24, Mig-21, Mig-23, Mig-29, Su-17/22....
For the 50th anniversary of the WTD-61, an F-4F Phantom and a Panavia Tornado received a similar decoration, decorated entirely in orange flight tests, sporting a '50' and 'TEST' on the back, the mathematical and physical formulas on the mechanics of flight on the fuselage, the German colors at the ends of the wings. The Phantom wears 'spooky' juggling with unit insignias on its belly, while the Panavia Tornado wears the insignia of the WTD-61 through which a Panavia Tornado passes.
It is rare to see a combination where there are two different aircrafts with the same special scheme.